Tuesday, March 1, 2011

John Smith

"Yes," he said, "My name really is John Smith.  Actually it's junior as my father was a John Smith too.  And my son is John Smith the Third."

A man about early or mid forties has a roadside second hand store.  I don't know what else to call it.  There is a building, but everything is stacked outside and at night he covers it with a tarp.  I stopped there one day looking for a fridge.  He showed me one. It was dented and quite dirty, not mildew just stuff from trees.  I think it had been outdoors for awhile.  After looking around a bit and going to other places, I decided I could clean it and get it in ok shape.  So I went back to John and asked about delivery.  John has a bad back, but thought he could manage with the young fellow he had there with him and his hand truck.  So I bought a huge TV, a step ladder and he threw in a pail.  He delievered them that evening. Teased me about my lack of furniture and brought in my stuff.

I have been back a few times looking for other things I think I need and one day there was a huge new tractor trailor in the yard.  It was opened and full of boxes and other stuffed jammed to the  limits. 

I said, "John. Where do you get all this stuff?"

He looked at me and as quick as a flash replied,  "You haven't been home for awhile have you?"

Do I have a sign written on my forehead saying I have a lot of junk and am a lousy housekeeper.

This wasn't what I was going to write about today, but    it's raining out and I have to go out and take pictures to write my next story.  So this is a subsitution.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment