Monday, February 7, 2011

Finances: Being a Canadain in the US

There is a lot to learn about switching money from Canada to US.  If you're not in the know the services charges can add up pretty quick.  I went to an ATM at Bank America to get  money from my Omista Credit Union checking account.  I got $100. Bank America charged me $3 for the transaction and Omista charged me $7..  I have since learned that RaceTrack... Not a race track, but the gas station called Race Track....  Do not charge for withdrawals.  Omista still charged $7 but at least I save $3.

The Royal Bank of Canada has a branch down here.  They have set up a service for Canadians wintering in Florida.  So I opened a US checking account here. When I get home I will open a Canadian account in the Royal Bank and apparently you can transfer money with no charge.  This is real good to know.

To open the account here was not a big deal, and they said for security reasons they would send my checks, bank card and pin number in separate letters.  They all arrived the same day.  The checks were in a blue plastic bag with no label saying Royak Bank.. But on the envelope it says, "Do not discard,  Your order is Enclosed"  I had no idea what it was.  The package looked like one of those things you get that say ,"You may have won a Million Dollars"

You do have to watch was is going on around here.
That's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment